THREE EARLY MENUS FROM RESTAURANTS IN BOSTON: Parker House; Ober's; and Hotel Nantasket. Boston Menus.
THREE EARLY MENUS FROM RESTAURANTS IN BOSTON: Parker House; Ober's; and Hotel Nantasket.
THREE EARLY MENUS FROM RESTAURANTS IN BOSTON: Parker House; Ober's; and Hotel Nantasket.
THREE EARLY MENUS FROM RESTAURANTS IN BOSTON: Parker House; Ober's; and Hotel Nantasket.
THREE EARLY MENUS FROM RESTAURANTS IN BOSTON: Parker House; Ober's; and Hotel Nantasket.
THREE EARLY MENUS FROM RESTAURANTS IN BOSTON: Parker House; Ober's; and Hotel Nantasket.

THREE EARLY MENUS FROM RESTAURANTS IN BOSTON: Parker House; Ober's; and Hotel Nantasket.

Boston: 1870, 1875, 1892. PARKER HOUSE: Bill of Fare for the "Annual Dinner of the Thayer Association of Chauncy Hall" at Parker House on January 6, 1870. 5 x 7" broadside leaf. Shows evidence of having been pasted onto what we assume would have been stiffer card. Light staining to front, remnants of backing paper along edges of back. What was then the Parker House Hotel is now the Omni Parker House, "legendary symbol in downtown Boston since 1855." The original Parker House is credited with the creation of Massachusetts' state dessert, Boston cream pie, and the Parker House roll. "Chauncy Hall," a boy’s school, folded into a Waltham girl’s school, and together they are now the co-educational Chapel Hill-Chauncy Hall School. OBER’S: Illustrated menu card for "Magenta | Dinner, April 30th, 1875 | Ober's." 4.5 x 6" card folded at middle in manor of place-seating card; gilt ruled panels on both (outer) sides -- one with colored illustration pasted on of a couple, apparently returning from their travels (the woman is leading a baboon on a leash and the man has a swordfish slung across his back and sarcophagus tucked under his arm) being greeted at the door by a cook or house maid; the other with text as above in an intricate magenta-colored script. The card opens to a menu elaborately bordered and titled in silver and gold with menu items in magenta. Minor staining on outside, partial coffee (?) ring inside. Locke-Ober, one of the oldest restaurants in Boston, closed its doors in 2012. It began business circa 1875 as Ober's Restaurant Parisien According to the Boston Globe, it didn't "allow women in until nearly a century after it opened and only abandoned its dress code in 2011." HOTEL NANTASKET: Menu for the "Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company of Massachusetts Harbor Excursion and Shore Dinner Complimentary to Troy Citizens Corps / Steamer Gov. Andrew under the command of Capt. Samuel Hichborn and disembarking for dinner at the Hotel Nantasket, Boston Harbor, June 7th, 1892." 7 x 11" card folded once and printed on front in black with hand-colored illustration of fish and clam; Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company emblem in red on back. Interior lists "Committee of Arrangements," "Ex-Officio Members, Commission Officers, Etc." and "Sub-Committee on Harbor Excursion and Shore Dinner" at left and the menu items at right. Imprint of "Kyser & Dickinson | 169 Tremont St. Boston" in blind at lower corner. Light soiling, 2" split at bottom of fold. The Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company of Massachusetts is the oldest chartered military organization in the western hemisphere. The Harbor Excursion and Shore Dinner was in celebration of their 254th anniversary and in honor of a visit from the Troy Citizens Corps of New York. The pomp and circumstance is thoroughly documented in AHAC records -- from the invitations to the preparations to the parade held before it and thanks received after -- all of which can be read online at HathiTrust.org.
Item #56058

Price: $750.00

See all items in AMERICANA, HISTORY
See all items by